Lots of errands to run this morning, collecting stored bits and redistributing them; appliances/electronics too large for the boat are now in new homes.
Worked on a couple client’s boats for the middle part of the day. Otherwise, i was back at Centaurea. i Sawzalled off the rear engine mounts. With a sturdy plank across the cockpit coamings, some chain, and a come-along, i winched the motor up off the pads, and wriggled out that last shaft coupling bolt. The front motor mounts needed to be removed in two pieces to let the front of the huge motor ease down low enough slide forward a little into the cabin, which in turn gave me room enough to get that shaft coupling apart.
i’m very curious how they got the engine in (and likewise, how i’ll get it out!) in one piece. i may yet need to take the head off the engine block! Ideally, i’d like to remove the transmission seperately, but with the poor access and large parts, i can’t imagine how the engine and transmission can be seperated while still in the boat.
One neat feature i found is a remote greasing point for the stuffing-box. Since a new engine/transmission will reguire a new coupling, and since the cutlass bearing is shot, i might as well go ahead and put in a new stuffing box as well (losing the tricky remote greasing). i have a couple friends who have installed those new packless drip-free shaft seals in lieu of a stuffing box, and i’ll be checking with them to keep up with their experiences. If that proves to work well, i’ll go that route myself.
This afternoon, i took a break from the mechanicals, and rubbed out a coat of teak oil on a few sections of the tired interior woodwork. i think most of the interior woodwork was originally oiled. Some pieces of wood look to have been given a coat of rubbed varnish or urethane at some point; everything appears either completely dry or with a thin, worn coating (no chipping/cracking/peeling varnish nonsense.
i’m using Amazon GTO right now (because i have a bottle), but i’d like to try SeaFin oil if i can find some locally. The GTO goes on pretty nice as it is, soaking right into the dry wood, and really revitalizing the scuffed-finished bits. For the moment, i have no plans to really get into sanding, scraping, or otherwise stripping any of the wood, just rubbing on some oil to preserve and shine a bit. Frankly, i like the “experienced” look of the wood; it’s more friendly and welcoming compared to the usual varnished gleam and blinding white gelcoat. The little dings and stains speak to me of many miles at sea, and many hours spent aboard by happy, moving, working folks… no yachty yacht here!